yyhh




yyyyy
11

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pancake Arts & Crafts

I have been wanting to experiment with dyeing fabric for some time now. It is a really great way to change up basic pieces in your wardrobe, or maybe to restore something that has faded- back to it's original color. There is a denim shop in Berkeley that once or twice a year collects denim from folks and sends them off to be dyed. So you can have your jeans back in a week or two- back to their original indigo, black, or what have you. I would love to try this at home, using natural dyes.

I've also been inspired by lines like Lina Rennell, to take dying to another level- and to try to create my own prints and designs. While I can't sew to save my life, I am thinking of adding my own print designs to an alternative apparel tunic top or dress.

If I am happy with the results, I may try making some items to sell on etsy. I have been spending some time dreaming up print designs of my own.

Whenever I try something I go about it in a manner that can be described as being 'hardcore'.
At the farmer's market yesterday- I barraged the herbal plants salesman with many questions about his dye plants. I am interested in getting the dye chamomile and indigo, but as they won't have that until next week. I'll have to wait a bit. So, yes I will be making my own dye from plant leaves. And, yes I will probably create a huge mess in the kitchen while doing so! But I am excited - and I will share about the process.

Take a look at some of these Lina Rennell pieces. The prints are simple but so beautiful. I think I really want that bathing suit!




About the pancakes. This morning I made some silver-dollar sized berry pancakes. Gluten Free, Vegan Berry Pancakes (I promise you I am not a hippie) that were pretty tasty. Maybe I made too many! I got the Recipe from the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook, and I just substituted the flour for Bob's All purpose gluten-free flour.




Mario's mother is coming to visit, so I'll be pretty busy today. Why oh why are weekends so short?

4 comments:

  1. ! Okay. This is what I was planning on doing with that beige dress:

    http://jesseanneo.blogspot.com/2009/07/future-diy.html

    I've had that bookmarked for a little while now and when Alyson mentioned dying it, I thought, well, I can at least print on it?

    And now I see this post. Do we lead parallel lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Cool idea!

    2. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making your own dye sounds like it will be fun (and messy) - just remember to wear something you hate!

    And too many pancakes is a good thing - wrap them up and put them in the freezer, then you can reheat them on morning when you have no time for breakfast.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyddie- Can you believe we ate them all? ; ) But next time i'll do that, freeze em'

    Jesse - that's too funny. I like that potato print DIY tutorial - I was going to make wood stamps and free draw - but veggie stamps sound easier...

    ReplyDelete