yyhh




yyyyy
11

Friday, April 30, 2010

Get into Motion


It's fun to notice patterns, ripple effects of conversation from one blogger to another. I love the discussion it creates- there are some posts that are really thought provoking. Just in the past week I've read several posts on environmental issues in fashion - posts about appropriation of cultural garb - and posts about saving money.

What I haven't really see much of out there (at least not in the blogs I regularly read) are fashion bloggers blogging about health/exercise it's a touchy subject. I think it is a particularly tough topic for women because of prevailing issues with body image, especially when it comes to the fashion industry and body image.

I am not going to get into all that. But I do want to share about my exercise habits,
or current lack there of.

Maya of Dutch Drift, has written about her workouts, and her love of Spin - Reading that really inspired me to take a look at my increasingly sedentary lifestyle.

I used to be a dancer- and I was always in shape. I wanted to go pro- but then after an illness and subsequent surgery I had to give it up. It's something I don't really like to talk about, because I was crushed. I've moved on and am past feeling sorry for my self- I went to college, I traveled a lot, and now I am working for an organization that helps people. These are good things. What is bad is that I spend 8 hours a day at a desk, and then more at home online reading, or writing on the couch. Sure, I walk a lot- I have a mile walk to the train to get to and from work- so I walk two miles a day, but this is a slow stroll as I am often carrying around a heavy tote bag of work materials. I noticed that I now get winded going up stairs, and that I can't open jars. When I danced I was stronger than most guys I knew- so I hate having to ask Mario to open a jar- I just plain refuse to ask.



So what do I do? I am trying to see how I can fit working out into my schedule. I would love to try Spin and Pilates - thanks to Maya- and I am thinking it might be fun to enroll in an adult ballet class.

My problem is time time time. I have to be at work at 8am, and I don't get home until 5.
Then by the time I get things out of the way (random tidying up, or errands, and making/eating dinner ) it's 8pm - I'm in bed by 10. Quelle horreur. No wonder I'm turning into jello. I really want to be strong and healthy.

I need to just have a few evenings a week where Mario takes care of himself for dinner and I don't have to worry about chores! I hope that there are some early evening classes out there. So far all I've seen are day time classes? What? Some of us work during the day, actually most of us do? I'll see what I can figure out. I may just get some dvds to try out at home, but I feel like that may be boring and I know Mario will have a chuckle or two about it.

Seriously though, how does one fit in a proper workout?

3 comments:

  1. I am awful - I never workout. I feel like an hour workout would involve rearranging my whole week, from what clothes I could wear to the day I could wash my hair.

    The only time of my life when I felt fit was when I lived in Boston and walked everywhere. Now I just sit all day.

    At least you walk two miles!!! That's so great, even if it is at a slow pace!

    I wish you much luck with your new excessive regime, I wish I could get motivated to do the same.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking/riding your bike to work or for errands if it's feasible in your city helps a lot.

    I think finding a class or group is the way to go. If can you commit to joining, then you just show up! I just joined a running group and it helps a ton. I don't think I would do it on my own. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete